Pages

Friday 14 September 2012

A New Float Tube and a Barren Lake Largie

FISH CAT 4 float tube on the Barren Lake boat launch ramp


As fishing reclaims large portions of my life and thoughts I'm slowly accumulating various water craft; last year a fishing kayak and a few weeks ago a float tube. I'd owned one before but passed it on to my nephew when I stopped using it. Yesterday was the official baptism despite a low front and temperatures in the mid-teens.

14" Large-mouth Bass

Fishing was slow, as expected but I did manage a surprise catch. On my third cast, a fish took my rabbit streamer near the surface and after a brief tussle I had it on the apron of the float tube. A nice, healthy looking large-mouth bass posed for a picture before being released. Back in the 80s when I often fished this lake, all it held were walleyes, pike and perch although I do remember losing a fish right at the boat that I swore was a musky. Now the majority of fish caught seem to be small-mouth bass and crappies along with the the occasional large-mouth bass, it seems. I also managed a few small small-mouths and perch on this trip. Oh yeah, loved the float tube! They've sure come a long way since my old, round Buck's Bag. I'd like it even more if I could turn with any kind of authority but hopefully that will come with time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Harry, great blog!
    When I get my float tube we'll hook up?

    C. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, sounds good. When are you getting one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not until sometime in the spring. I broke one of my fly rods and as a result my wife found out how many I actually have,oops.
    By spring I'll be back in the good books.
    Caught a brown trout on a dry fly yesterday at Reynolds Ponds - my first Manitoba trout - and I've been skipping everywhere I go.

    C. Scott

    ReplyDelete