Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Spring...Manitoba style



Our late spring has totally screwed up my fishing plans....sigh....I was going to do so well. The spots that have done exceptionally well in "late spring" conditions for me in the past are still in flood stage and my "fall back spots" are, well, under water...way too much water. So after a hiatus of about 30 years I hit Lockport again after reports that some of the fly fishers were catching fish there. In the odd way things sometimes happen, on my first cast I nailed something huge that immediately took out my whole flyline and had me in the backing; and it was now in the main current of the river. Crap!!! I followed as well as I could on the rip rap and eventually caught up with the beast about 100 yards downstream. And the line was snagged. After about 15 minutes of slack line/ tight line/pull I just grabbed my line and pulled...hard. A pile of brush floated up, along with a carp I estimated to be near 30". It was foul hooked near the back end...no wonder it was in control more often than I was.

Next up was the walleye in the picture; a nice 26.5" female which obviously hadn't spawned yet. Not much fight but a beautiful fish. That was it for me, not a great day of fishing but a great day nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment