Pages

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Panfish hunting...How not to

No new species to report but enough good stuff happened to put up a blog post. Was going to stay off the water today but around 10:30 I got an ich that just needed scratching. I decided to go after panfish and loaded up with small flies and my 4 wt rod.


First cast hooked a fairly nice fish, a 17 1/2" white sucker. Not a giant but quite a fight with the 4 wt.




Second fish was a 24" channel cat which kept me on my toes and nervously hoping the cat had forgotten about the brush just downstream of the pool.



A couple of small crappies later I got a solid take that was to test the limits of my flyrod. A 29" channel cat and new record for my 4 wt. Maybe a MA on this rod is in the works? (Just checked an old post and found my biggest channel cat on this 4 wt is actually 32")



A big fish day with a smattering of small walleye, crappie, rock bass, pike and sauger and another great afternoon on the river with a fly rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment