Pages

Sunday 3 September 2023

Hornyhead chub on the fly

I had been fishing the head of a large pool on the Brokenhead River with #24 streamer/nymph patterns and #30 nymphs and catching nothing but common shiners. One small area of the pool held visible, fairly large minnows with a distinctive stripe that I was unable to entice with the flies I was using. My fishing partner was angling nearby with a yellow plastic nymph on a tiny tungsten jig and managed one of them, so I tied on a Wee Willy Wiggler and that proved to be the ticket. Although tied on a #14 hook, the fish attacked the fly with gusto and while most were too small for the hook size, I eventually hooked and landed what was to be a new fly caught species for me; the hornyhead chub.

#14 Wee Willy Wigglers, #24 streamer/nymphs and #30 nymphs

No comments:

Post a Comment