Pages

Monday 13 August 2012

A new Manitoba species on the fly

Fishing was slow today on the La Salle, at least for me and at the spots I usually fish. So I tied on a small hare's ear nymph and went prospecting for smaller fish. The first spot I tried was near the tail of a riffle and BINGO...a new species on the fly. Problem is I'm not 100% certain of the species but what the heck, this blog is informal and just for fun so I'll add the fish to my list. I will try to get confirmation but for now I'm adding a River Shiner (Notropis blennius).I have since been told this is a Common Shiner and I think that fits the description better...so we have a Common Shiner (Luxilus cornutus).
I managed quite a few of these and many just couldn't get the fly in their mouth.

Also managed quite a few small crappies and goldeye in the fast water.


Just another great day on the fly rod!


No comments:

Post a Comment