Pages

Monday 6 August 2012

Stonecats...continued

I gave it a yeoman's try this morning but the stonecats refused my feathery imitations. The current, split shot and bushes behind me made the effort a challenge and one I'm unlikely to repeat, at least in this exact location. Since I fly fish this river a lot I may just get one  without necessarily targeting the species. When I switched to salted minnows, the action was slow but steady. Half a dozen stonecats in about an hour.

I've had much better luck with channel cats which will take a fly readily. I've also managed the odd bullhead but I've only been able to target them in specific circumstances. Sometimes they seem to gather in large groups and mill around at the bottom (or sometimes at the head) of a pool. At this time they will take a weighted nymph put right into their midst. I suspect it to be be more of a competitive strike than an effort to feed.


No comments:

Post a Comment