Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

A New Fishing Paradigm for the Retired


After retiring 13 years ago, I muddled my way through several hobbies from flying RC models to robotics and even ended up writing about them in several mainstream magazines. Prodded by my grandchildren, I’ve now fallen into a new avocation; I fly fish Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 5:00...weather permitting. Wet and sometimes slimy work but oddly satisfying and as the cliché states, “someone’s got to do it”.



Fishing this much would be impractical given the way I used to fish; long trips to trout or smallmouth lakes or overnight excursions to far away waters in search of trophy fish.  My new rule has become “within ½ hour of home” and although I do break it on occasion it has generally become my mantra. I live on the Assiniboine River west of Winnipeg so most of my fishing these days is in this river, the Red and major tributaries of these two rivers. Naturally my focus has gone from the fish of cooler waters to warm water inhabitants; a surprisingly large number of species here in Manitoba. Another shift is the movement from trying for large fish to numbers of species caught on a given day. I understand this wouldn’t be for everybody but I get a thrill every time my change in presentation or location on a stream successfully targets a different species. I now keep track and have had 9 specie days on one river but am sure I topped that on a couple of days earlier in the year. 



I’m living proof there are as many aspects to fishing as there are fisher people.

No comments:

Post a Comment