Pages

Friday 27 July 2012

Carp on the Fly


Earlier this year I had the good sense to buy the book "Carp on the Fly" by Reynolds, Befus and Berryman. The book turned out to be a godsend; a boon that produced results the very next day after reading it. Very readable, practical and full of carpy wisdom the book is destined to become a classic for carp aficionados.

The carp contemplating the vehicle of its capture


I drove to a feature on the Assiniboine River just 5 minutes from home; a drainage ditch that mixed relatively clear water with the murkier waters of the river. I had seen carp there before and I was not disappointed this trip. I tied  a #10 chartreuse wolly bugger to my 6 wt line and over the next euphoric hours managed a total of 7 carp ranging in length from 21" to a strength sapping, chunky 30". I just couldn't land this last fish with the 6 wt. and had to call my wife on my cell phone to bring the net. These fish are tough. After this bone weary angler released the beaten fish it accelerated for safety as if jet assisted.

A Manitoba carp, a net and my 6 wt...the perfect day



The technique that worked this day was a delicate presentation about 12 to 15" in front of a fish with a slight twitch when it appeared to notice it. Without the twitch they often swam away and further away they ignored the fly. Just another great day in paradise...with a fly-rod.

A happy carp fisherman preparing for the release

No comments:

Post a Comment