Pages

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Real flyfishers don't use bobbers....




I would never admit using a bobber while fly fishing, ESPECIALLY to another fly fisher. However, when the need arises, I will reluctantly and with a slight blush resort to the use of an indicator. Indicators come in all sizes and flavors from little foam tabs and cork balls that look alarmingly like bobbers to yarn concoctions that float. I liked the O-ring method of attachment but didn't like the yarn and also liked the float-ability of cork/foam but didn't like the attachment methods. From my background in RC models I had loads of balsa wood and my robotics hobby ensured a ready supply of O-rings and the Bo-ring was born. Yellow packing tape covering the 1/4" balsa piece and attaching the O-ring is about as simple as it gets. That simplicity along with the ability to fine tune the size to any number of fly sizes and weights makes it a permanent boarder in my fly vest.

Fly fishing indicators made of balsa and O-rings

No comments:

Post a Comment