Pages

Tuesday 24 July 2012

A new idea...Western Tenkara

I was sitting on my deck this morning, coffee in hand, ice pack on my wasp bite and contemplating the misguided wisdom of yesterday's fishing folly. In my desire to test the waters of Tenkara fishing, I had risked the ultimate limb of a 40 year fishing companion...my 4 wt fly rod. Yes friends, here lies proof stupidity can be overcome by good luck. As happens so often when  letting the mind wander over a fertile landscape, a light bulb flashed and a fully formed solution presented itself. What I saw was a bead over the connection between fly line and Tenkara line/leader, outside of the rod tip.  A moment's reflection assured me it should work.


A 6 mm bead keeps the Tenkara leader from entering the fly rod



Upside: I can now get a taste Tenkara fishing without buying a rod right away. An added huge advantage, in my mind anyway, is that I can now fight a larger fish on the reel instead of just the rod and leader.

Downside: I still have the added weight of a reel and probably am missing many of the characteristics of an authentic Tenkara rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment